3D Animation for Film and Games Diploma
Fine & Applied Arts, School of Motion Picture Arts
The two-year 3D Animation for Film & Games diploma program offers students the training necessary to bring 3D computer-generated characters and environments to life.
Students develop the artistic skills needed for a rewarding career in the computer graphics and animation industries.
Graduates will complete a professional-quality demo reel.
- Demonstrate the skills, theoretical knowledge, and professional attitude necessary to function as a production artist in the animation industry
- Develop a plan to continue with lifelong learning, creative achievement, and professional growth
- Work in a creative production in a professional, responsible and confident manner
- Define and apply the concepts and production skills required to develop professional quality animation from initial concept through final production
- Create and maintain a professional portfolio that meets industry expectations and showcases their artistic and technical achievements
- Demonstrate the knowledge, dedication and work ethic required to be a successful member of a production team
- Collaborate on team projects while being responsible for creating and managing time, resources and outcomes
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Program Requirements and Outlines
|DIGI 130||3D Animation I||4.50 credits|
|DIGI 132||3D Design for Production I||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 134||Technical Direction I||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 136||Life Drawing for Animators I||2.25 credits|
|ENGL 100||Academic Writing Strategies||3.00 credits|
|First Term Credits Required||15.75|
|DIGI 140||3D Animation II||4.50 credits|
|DIGI 142||3D Design for Production II||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 144||Technical Direction II||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 146||Life Drawing for Animators II||2.25 credits|
|DIGI 148||Concept Art and Design I||2.25 credits|
|DIGI 149||Animation Action Analysis||1.50 credits|
|Second Term Credits Required||16.50|
|DIGI 230||3D Animation III||4.50 credits|
|DIGI 232||3D Design for Production III||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 234||Technical Direction III||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 237||The Art of Visual Storytelling||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 238||Concept Art and Design II||2.25 credits|
|Third Term Credits Required||15.75|
ENGL or CMNS 100 level or higher
|ANIM 210||Entrepreneurship in Animation||1.50 credits|
|DIGI 243||Look Development and Lighting||3.00 credits|
|DIGI 245||Portfolio Development||9.00 credits|
|Fourth Term Credits Required||16.50|
Continuation Requirement: Students must successfully complete all 3D Animation courses in one term before continuing to the next term.
Application & Document Deadline
Course Registration & Waitlisting
Fee Payment Deadline
NOTE: Dates are subject to change.
- BC Secondary School graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent; or Mature Student status
- Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
- Interview, and portfolio and/or demo reel of relevant work.
- A letter of intent indicating their interest in the animation field and any previous related experience (if applicable).
Have questions about this program? Get in touch with an admissions advisor.