The honorary doctorate degree is the highest form of recognition granted by Capilano University and is given to acknowledge persons who are distinguished by their significant contributions and accomplishments and whose excellence will, through their association with Capilano University, bring honour to our name.
Candidates will have made outstanding contributions which are regional, provincial, national or international in scope. Candidates’ contributions must be consistent with the mission and values of Capilano University.
While a candidate might not necessarily be expected to meet all the criteria, the selection committee will be attentive to these benchmarks in making its recommendations.
- The candidate is distinguished and widely recognized in his/her field.
- The candidate is an exemplar of extraordinary public service.
- The candidate has made an outstanding and sustained achievement in his/her area of expertise.
- The candidate’s achievements are appropriate and relevant to Capilano University.
- Candidates shall not have direct political, legal or budgetary authority over Capilano University.
- Awards will not normally be given posthumously.
- A candidate would be recognized as one who shows respect towards others and is able to work effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Recipients of honorary degrees must normally agree to attend convocation ceremonies to receive his/her award.
Nomination Process & Timeline
Nominations to the committee must be in writing (not to exceed three pages) and should include:
- a letter explaining why the candidate is deserving of the recognition and how he/she meets the criteria
- a short biographical summary outlining his/her accomplishments and connection to Capilano University
- contact information
The deadline for submission for nominations is: February 7, 2018.
Nominations will be submitted to Helen La Rusic, assistant to the dean of global and community studies - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Honorary Degree Recipients (2008-2016)
- May 26, 2017: The Honorable Steven Point to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Capilano University
- May 26, 2017: Internationally recognized sport and orthopedic physiotherapist Rick Celebrini to receive an honorary doctorate degree from Capilano University